Sunday, September 7, 2014

About Myself

My name is Aaron Leo Pereira. I am from India, but was born in the United Arab Emirates on the 8th of September, 1998. Like most teenagers my age, I enjoy getting myself involved in a plethora of both indoor, and outdoor activities. Out of these, my favorite activities would definitely be football, kayaking, tennis, biking, driving and going to the gym. During the course of this year, I plan on being a dedicated, hardworking and respected member of this school, and also learning how to professionally play a musical instrument. Being a teenager in the 21st century, language plays a major role in defining who you are as a person. With the invention of social media, language is getting more and more universal as time goes on. Language, like many other crucial things in life, evolves over time, inspired by the latest trends, creating slangs. Language to me is all about communication. It plays a role in sharing information, (either publicly or secretly) through various methods. Talking would probably be the most common, as humans have never been more intellectually capable with words. This allows us to express ourselves like never before. We can convey more feelings and contribute new ideas with such precision using just, words.  Language is a universal social binder, even though it varies from culture to culture. I would say that culture would be best defined as an ethical group, sharing the same ideas and beliefs amongst each other. I am bilingual, as I speak both Tamil (the national language of Tamil Nadu) and English fluently. This gives me an opportunity to see how language and culture define one another, and how language is used on parts of the world. I have sometimes felt excluded from certain ethnic groups. This is because I had little to no understanding of that particular culture and the specific language being spoken. Over time I quickly became used to it, allowing me to fit in and share my ideas with ease. Cultures can vary around the world, but we must always respect them to learn more about them.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Aaron,
    I found your first beginning sentences very interesting because I didn't know a lot of that about you. I like the way you explained what language is and how it is important to you, also how you can speak Tamil because I didn't know that either.It's great that you have learnt to respect other cultures. xxx

    ReplyDelete